The holidays are fast approaching and while it’s a wonderful way to connect with family and friends we are often surrounded by food. Delicious food, but often laden with sugar and fat.
Dietitian to the rescue! I’m going to share with you some of my favorite holiday subs and swaps to make your meals healthier without compromising flavor.
Simple Sub/Swap Suggestions
- Use 1 Tbsp low-fat or non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of 1 Tbsp sour cream.
- Use 1 Tbsp low-fat or non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Or try mashed avocado for the same creamy texture.
- Use 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt + 1/2 butter instead of 1 cup butter.
- Use 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt + 1/2 cream cheese instead of 1 cup cream cheese.
- Also try plain hummus.
- Swap out for olive oil and garlic. It brings out a whole new flavor.
- Use 2/3 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt + 1/3 cup milk or any unsweetened milk alternative instead of 1 cup buttermilk.
- Try something new this year and give my vibrant verde pesto sauce a try.
- Swap for plain unsweetened almond, coconut, hemp seed or pea protein milk.
- Use 1 cup unsweetened applesauce instead of 1 cup oil (swap 1:1 ratio).
- Can also use 1 cup canned pumpkin instead of 1 cup oil.
- Swap for cooked and mashed cauliflower or do 1/2 potatoes + 1/2 cauliflower.
- Swap out noodles for spiraled zucchini. Zucchini noodles, or “zoodles,” cut out unhealthy processed carbs while filling your plate with vitamins and fiber.
- Substitute one pie on your dessert table for baked, roasted, or grilled fruit. Peaches, nectarines, apples and pears are some of my favorite.
White Bread Stuffing or (gasp) Boxed Stuffing
- Substitute that white bread for a sprouted, whole-grain loaf when making your turkey day stuffing.
Do you have any swaps that you want to share? What’s your favorite? Comment below.