Product: Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides (20 oz)
Price: $25 for 10 oz or $43.00 for 20 ounces (as of March 2017)
Cheapest Place to Buy: VP website
My Rating: 9 out of 10
Collagen is essential and naturally found in our bodies. It is the basic building blocks for hair, skin, nails, bone and joints. Collagen is stripped from our diets due to modern food-processing. This is why Vital Proteins created this Collage Peptides supplement – to fill the gap between what we NEED and what we are actually getting. Vital Proteins is a whole food based nutrition company.
While our bodies’ collagen production slows as we age, our need for it only grows as our bodies become less efficient and we maintain a vibrant life.
Vital Proteins’ products are natural sources of essential proteins, sourced from pasture-raised cows in Brazil and New Zealand and wild-caught fish in Hawaii.
My Opinion on This Product
Hi, I’m Katie and I like trying products. Hahaha. I have to admit that I’m kind of a nutrition product junkie. Phew! Ok, I feel better now that my secret is out. I have a curious mind and being a Dietitian I’m always intrigued by all the new products on the market. However, not all products are created equal and I’m thankful for my nutrition background to be able to understand what’s hot and what’s not.
Having said that, I would never want to steer you in the wrong way. My opinion is completely my own so by no means do you have to agree with me.
I know for a fact that collagen is essential for bone and joint health and it plays a role in skin health as well. I had no idea it would be more beneficial for me in ways I didn’t imagine. Long story short I get patchy skin irritation on my elbows and my back, specifically, when the seasons change. It sometimes looks like psoriasis, but my dermatologist diagnosed it as “dermatitis” which literally means rash – or skin irritation. Ok, I could have diagnosed that!
Major Benefits of Taking Collagen:
- Helps reduce wrinkles and improve skin conditions
- Supports the re-growth of joint tissue and can help relieve joint pain
- Can help prevent bone loss (osteoporosis)
After taking this product for 3 days I could not only see a difference in my skin, but also in the way that my gut felt. Less than 2 weeks later my skin irritation completely cleared up, the skin on my face felt firmer and my bowel movements were more regular and formed. Your poop can tell you a lot. I’m serious! Don’t be ashamed to talk about it 🙂
I just bought my third container and I don’t know what I did without it!
Because it’s a neutral flavor you can really add it to anything, but that’s what I don’t like about it sometimes. I enjoy the fact that it’s free from artificial sweeteners and preservatives; however, sometimes I want that flavor in my foods without having to add more ingredients. So far I have mixed it in my homemade bone broth, hot tea, cottage cheese, overnight oatmeal, baked goods, and homemade smoothies.
There is a blog website on the container that provides you with tons of other recipes and ideas for what you can do with this product. That’s a plus!
I made a smoothie with coconut water, vital protein collagen peptides, blueberries, raspberries, spinach and chia seeds. It was soooo good! I’ll post the recipe soon…
2 scoops provides 18 grams of quality amino acids! We all need this!
Also, my nails are very brittle. This has always bothered me. My nails will not grow very long because they chip or crack. I’m not sure if this has something to do with the fact that I wash my hands 8 million times per day or if I’m missing something in my diet. Whatever it is, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides seems to fill that gap. My nails have never been stronger in my whole life and my hair is growing faster also. It’s awesome!
Let me break it down for you:
Here is my pros and cons list for Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides:
- Pure whole food-based ingredients
- Free from artificial sugars. Preservative free. rBGH free. Gluten free. Soy free. Non GMO.
- It blends easily into hot liquids
- It’s flavorless so you can really add it to ANYTHING (even my cookie dough protein bites)
- Carbohydrate free so it won’t get in the way on controlling your blood sugars. Plus, each serving provides 18 grams of high quality amino acids (proteins).
- My hair grows faster and my nails are stronger than ever before. No joke!
- Reduced my skin allergy/rash/irritation in under a week.
- It’s flavorless. I know this is also a PRO, but if I am trying to make a protein shake out of it sometimes I enjoy having a chocolate or vanilla flavor.
- It gets clumpy and doesn’t mix well in a shaker bottle. It really needs to be blended in a blender if using cold liquids.
- Slightly expensive (but read the pros again and you’ll change your mind)
The choice is up to you if you try it, but I want to know what you think. Let me know if you have tried it or if you have any other questions about this product. I welcome your comments and feedback.
You can also click HERE to read more reviews. Don’t just read mine – see what other people are saying too!